Readers of this blog might want to consider the major malfunctioning of the voting machines in Ohio in yesterday’s primary. It is only going to get worse in the fall. Here’s a breakdown of some of the day’s problems from the Columbus Dispatch and the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Cuyahoga (used Diebold machines)
– court-ordered extension of voting hours, requested by Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones, because they didn’t open until 1:30pm. Ordered to stay open until 9:30pm.
– poll workers could not get new Diebold touchscreen machines to work in Cleveland housing project
– some people had to vote on paper ballots
Franklin County (used ES&S machines)
– Matt Damschroder, Franklin County BOE Director, claimed 50 people walked away without voting (according to Columbus Dispatch)
– ballots loaded without school levies included
– 20% (160 precincts) opened late
– ES&S placed a dozen company representatives on the ground
– voters complained about the open viewing of voting machine screen and lack of a curtain
– Worthington, Westerville and Hilliard – voters complained locals school levy issue was not on voting machines
Delaware County (ES&S machines)
– some machines did not work at all
– paper jams were biggest problem (according to Janet Brenneman, deputy director of Delaware County BOE)
Union County (ES&S machines)
– audio voting prompts were issued on machines at inappropriate times
Here’s another list, courtesy of John Gideon and Brad Friedman at http://www.bradblog.com
OH: Belmont County – Train Wreck – Vote-Counting Process Mired
OH: Cuyahoga County – Train Wreck – Ohio’s largest county still counting votes
OH: Cuyahoga County – Train Wreck – People, machines account for glitches in Cuyahoga voting (Diebold)
OH: Cuyahoga County – Train Wreck – Countdown to chaos
OH: Hamilton County – Train Wreck – Voting total takes 6-1/2 hours. Human problem holds up Hamilton Co. count
OH: Mahoning Valley Counties – Train Wreck – Problems slowed the process of getting voting results (ES&S and possibly other vendors)
DIEBOLD DISASTER: Cuyahoga County Still Counting as 70 Memory Cards Missing from 200 Precincts
50 Temp Workers Hired to Count Absentee Ballots which Diebold Machines Fail to Scan Properly…
DIEBOLD DISASTER: Company Gets ‘F’ From Election Board Chairman as Machines Fail All Over Cuyahoga County, OH on Primary Day
Voting Machines Refuse to Power Up, No Paper Ballot Backups, 17,000 Absentee Ballots Must be Counted by Hand
E-VOTE MELTDOWN: RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!
Man Smashes Diebold Touch-Screen Voting System in Ohio!
Arrested at Polling Place During Today’s Ohio Primary Election
CLEVELAND – A 61-year-old man was arrested after an alleged poll rage incident, NewsChannel5 reported. Officials said the man was arrested after breaking a voting machine. He faces disorderly conduct, obstructing official business and resisting arrest charges. It took several people to restrain the man who was trying to vote at a 4330 Jennings Road. It’s unclear what caused the man to become upset. The report didn’t specify, but the machine in question, and in the photos, was a Diebold AccuVote TSx (touch-screen) system. Look, people, those machines don’t work anyway! Even when they’re not smashed! Apparently the man damaged at least two of the Diebold voting machines.